Hear about travel to Israel and Palestine, and particularly the world heritage sites of that region, as the Amateur Traveler talks to Gary Arndt from everything-everywhere.com about his recent visit.
Gary just finished up a trip to Israel and Palestine where he visited the last of the UNESCO World Heritage sites.
The sites in Palestine include:
- Birthplace of Jesus: Church of the Nativity and the Pilgrimage Route, Bethlehem
- Land of Olives and Vines – Cultural Landscape of Southern Jerusalem, Battir
The sites in Israel include:
- Bahá’i Holy Places in Haifa and the Western Galilee
- Biblical Tels – Megiddo, Hazor, Beer Sheba
- Caves of Maresha and Bet-Guvrin in the Judean Lowlands as a Microcosm of the Land of the Caves
- Incense Route – Desert Cities in the Negev
- Necropolis of Bet She’arim: A Landmark of Jewish Renewal
- Old City of Acre
- Sites of Human Evolution at Mount Carmel: The Nahal Me’arot / Wadi el-Mughara Caves
- White City of Tel-Aviv
UNESCO also named the Old City of Jerusalem as a UNESCO site but does not include it in either list.
Some of these sites like the Old City of Jerusalem and Masada are routinely visited by many tourists. Some like the White City of Tel-Aviv may be a bit more difficult to appreciate. And some like the Caves of Maresha and Bet-Guvrin have surprises for those who visit.
We also talk about other tentative sites like the Early Synagogues in the Galilee and Caesarea.
Hear about some of the wonders of this area and its rich history.
Gary Arndt on Amateur Traveler
List of World Heritage Sites in Israel
List of World Heritage Sites in Palestine
Old City of Jerusalem
Dome of the Rock
Mount of Olives
Immovable Ladder of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
Citadel of David Hotel
King David Hotel
Tower of David Museum
Church of the Nativity
Chapel of the Milk Grotto
West Bank Areas in the Oslo II Accord
White City of Tel Aviv
Bauhaus in Germany
Bahá’i Holy Places
Sites of Human Evolution at Mount Carmel
Old City of Acre
Biblical Tels – Megiddo, Hazor, Beer Sheba
Beit She’arim National Park
Beit Guvrin National Park
Incense Route – Desert Cities in the Negev
Israel National Park Passes
Caesarea National Park
Berlin Modernism Housing Estates
UNESCO World Heritage Sites Chris has been to
UNESCO World Heritage Sites Gary has been to
One listeners unsubscrobes
Leave your own review for Amateur Traveler on iTunes
Please take our listener survey
November 2017 – India Amateur Traveler Trip